Saturday 20 June 2009

the perfumed corridor

This is the Jane Magnolia (liliflora 'Reflorescens' x stellata). I remember seeing this for the first time in the spring of 2006 in Boston! The entire street (can't remember which one) of brownstone houses were lined with rows of both the Jane Magnolia and the more common white magnolia.

Spring is always a delightful and cheery period due to the burst of flowers which emerge from the branches of all sorts of trees. My earliest and fondest memory of spring has to be the time it snowed for the first time in my 3 years in Exeter. It was mid-March in 1998 and the beginning of spring but freak weather had caused one of the heaviest snowfalls recorded for that time of the year. The next morning, I got up at about 5:30 a.m. as I had wanted to capture the snowy landscape of the university grounds on film before it melted away. It was certainly quite a sight to see the snow and dew collect on the white apple and cherry blossoms, and the canary daffodils "emerge" from the snow. Too bad the digital camera hadn't featured yet, otherwise I would have been able to post them here.

No comments:

Post a Comment