Sunday 15 February 2009

another costus surprise









The ginger gardens at SBG never fail to surprise me each time I visit. Today, I was greeted by a pleasant surprise, the flowering of another unidentified costus. I tried researching it on Dave Skinner's website and the closest thing I could find is the Costus guanaiensis. However, I do have my doubts as the colouration is somewhat different from that of the guanaiensis. It may be the Costus Peruvian Pink. 

Anyway, judging from the size of the flowers and the bract (as compared to my hand), this is one of the larger costuses. The stems are also thicker than most. It's a shame that SBG is unable to fully identify all of its species in the park for it would have added great value and benefit to visitors like myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment