Sunday 22 March 2009

justicia carnea - brazilian plume



This tropical plant is native to northern areas of South America. They come in a range of colours but it is the pink one that holds most gardeners' attention. The bright pink, twin-lipped flowers are produced on large, fat spikes and hang downward in all directions.

The one amazing thing about these spectacular plants are the fact that it does best in shady conditions. One wouldn't have guessed it from looking at the beautiful flowers. I grow mine as a potted plant in my backyard in considerable shade but it does seem to be thriving very well.

It is a very easy plant to grow and regenerates fairly quickly producing new leaves and flowers. However, I would recommend trimming the plant after the flower spikes die off so as to encourage new growth. The plant also requires moist conditions to thrive.

I hear that there is a white flowering form and I cannot wait to get my hands on one.

No comments:

Post a Comment